I was watching Rick Stein’s cookery programme at the weekend and he was in Sicily. He made a very simple pasta dish. I have taken his recipe a step further. I think it’s great, but then again I am biased 🙂
15 olives, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 red pepper, diced
1 tray of cherry tomatoes, pith removed and diced
50g grated parmesan
5 medallions (100g) smoked rasher
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp of chilli flakes
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat a pan and spray with cooking spray. Fry the bacon for 3 minutes until turning brown. Add the breadcrumbs and Italian seasoning and cook for another 2 minutes. Add in the parmesan, stir and set aside.
- Heat an additional large pan and add the olive oil. Fry the pepper for 3 minutes, add the garlic and olives and fry for another 2 minutes. Add in the tomatoes, chilli flakes and season with pepper. Cook for a further 2 minutes until the tomatoes are heated through.
- Drain the pasta and add to the large saucepan with the tomato and olive mix. Stir through and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Distribute into large serving bowls and sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture.