Myself and two other avid cooks, have a little lunch club going on at work. We rotate doing lunch each work day. The plan was make healthy recipes so that we wouldn’t be grabbing anything naughty to eat from the food court. We’re loving it; we’re getting to try out lots of new things, maybe not so healthy at times but on the most part.
I made this dish for the ladies one day. I think it may originally have come from a Weight Watchers recipe. It’s a nice alternative to meat, the aubergine/egg-plant makes it robust and filling. I used the skinny aubergines, this recipe would fill 3 of these and probably 2 of the larger ones.
1 onion, finely diced
1 clove of garlic,crushed
1 can of tomatoes with herbs
1 red or yellow pepper, diced
1/2 courgette, diced
1 chilli, finely chopped
1 sachet of tomato paste
2 aubergines, halved
Salt and pepper to season
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 212 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Meanwhile scoop out the seeds and flesh out of the aubergine and chop it up. Set aside the flesh for the moment.
3. Grease a baking tray with some olive oil, place the scooped out aubergines on the tray and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
4. Heat some oil in the pan and fry off the pepper, courgette and onion for about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and chilli and fry for another 2 minutes.
5. Remove the aubergines from the oven and set aside.
6. I only really use half of the aubergine flesh, I know it’s a bit of a waste but that’s just my preference as there is a lot of filling. Add this to the pan and fry another 3 minutes. Now add the tin of tomatoes.
7. Season the sauce with salt and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes until the sauce has reduced.
8. Once the sauce is ready fill the aubergine skins. Sprinkle on the breadcrumbs and cheese and bake for 20 minutes.
9. Serve with a green salad.