I always order these when I see them on the menu. I have a bit of a weakness for wings. I made these along with the Shredded Chilli Beef as an entrée. It was supposed to be a Mexican themed night. I’ve always associated wings with Mexican food as some of the Mexican restaurants that I have been to had them on the menu. I was curios about their origins so I did a bit of research and they supposedly originate in Buffalo, New York’s Anchor Bar. I was really chuffed with how these turned out. The recipe for the wings was adopted from: http://americanfood.about.com/od/appetizersandsoups/r/bufchicwing.htm
The blue cheese dip recipe I used was: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/fried-buffalo-wings-with-blue-cheese-dip-recipe/index.html
This recipe served 5 hungry adults
- 1 kg chicken wings
- Olive oil spray
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon milk or buttermilk
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/ 392 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the flour and paprika in a bowl and coat the chicken wings in the flour mixture.
- Spray an oven-proof dish with olive oil spray.
- Add the chicken wings to the dish and cook in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix the sauce ingredients together in a bowl. 10 minutes before the wings are cooked (they should be starting to brown), remove from the oven and pour over the sauce, ensuring that the wings are fully coated in the sauce. Place the wings back in the oven and cook for the remaining time.
- While the wings are cooking make the blue cheese sauce. Pulse the sour cream, blue cheese, mayonnaise, garlic, milk and lemon juice in a food processor until combined but still chunky. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with celery sticks and blue cheese dip.