We often go to this Mexican restaurant in Brisbane called La Quinta. They have this awesome chilli beef. I had been meaning to give it a try for a while and I finally got around to it for a Mexican style dinner party that I was having. I made this dish in the slow cooker. I started preparing it at about 8 o’clock in the morning and left it all day in the slow cooker. I got a big thumbs up from my guests. Personally I thought it turned out superbly if I do say so myself. I got the basis of this recipe from Taste.com.au and of course put my own spin on it. It’s very easy and straight forward to make. Definitely worth a try.
1.2kg beef chuck steak, cut into 10cm pieces
1 tbs olive oil
2 brown onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tbs finely chopped pickled jalepeno peppers
3 dried bay leaves
1 oxo cube
1 tbs cayenne pepper
1 can of red kidney beans
Flour tortilla, warmed to serve
Steamed rice, to serve
Sliced avocado, to serve
Fresh coriander sprigs, to serve
Sour cream, to serve
Pickled Jalepenos, to serve
Fresh lime quarters
1. Season the beef with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Heat the oil in a large flame proof casserole dish or pan over a high heat.
2. Cook half the beef for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining beef. Remove all beef from the pan.
3. Reduce the heat to medium-low for about 10 minutes until golden. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute until aromatic. Combine the spices in a bowl and add to the onion mixture cooking for another 1 minute or so. Add the passatta, water, jalepenos, oxo cube crumbled, and bay leaves. Bring to the boil.
4. While the flavours are marrying, switch on the slow cooker and heat. Transfer the mixture over.
5. Let the slow cooker work its magic. Leave for as long as you can, stirring occasionally. I left it from 9am to 8pm. It sounds excessive but worth it, you’ll see.
6. One hour before serving, add the red kidney beans.
6. When you are nearly ready to serve, shred the meat in the slow cooker with a fork. It should shred away easily.
7. Serve with all the accompaniments.