I had some beef in the freezer so I decided to give this recipe a go. It kind of ended up tasting like a brown stew as I would call it. I had a look at a number of recipes on the Internet and they had varying ingredients, so I just took the most common ones. It’s good winter grub. Hope you enjoy.
500g stewing beef
2 onions, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 tbsp tomato puree
200g tinned tomatoes
3 tbsp paprika
1 tsp caraway seeds
1 tsp mixed spice
400g baby potatoes
500ml beef stock
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary and thyme
1 oxo cube
Salt and pepper
1. Place the flour on a plate and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Coat the beef in the flour.
2. Heat the oil in the large pot. Add the onions and the carrots and fry off for 4 minutes. Remove the veg and set aside.
2. Add the beef and fry until browned. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes making sure it doesn’t burn.
3. Re-add the veg. Stir in the herbs and spices and cook for another minute or so. Crumble in the oxo cube and stir.
4. Stir in the tomato puree and the tomatoes. Add the potatoes and the stock making sure that there’s enough liquid to cover and cook the potatoes. Add more stock if necessary.
5. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for an hour or more if you can. The longer you leave it the more tender the meat will be.