This is a bit of a take on chicken fajittas really. I thoroughly enjoyed them. I found it hard enough to get the black beans. I know they are in tescos but I didn’t managed to get there. I used red kidney beans instead. I took the recipe from the Weight Watchers ‘Simply Enjoy’.
10 propoints per serving
8 skinless boneless mini chicken fillets
2 tablespoons jerk spice mix
350g butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded, and cut into 1 cm cubes
calorie controlled cooking spray
1 onion, chopped finely
2 large garlic cloves, chopped finely
1 yellow pepper, de-seeded and diced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
400g black beans, drained and rinsed
3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
25g sweet and hot jalapenos (from a jar), drained and roughly chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons 0% fat Greek yoghurt
1. Put the chicken fillets on a plate. Sprinkle over the jerk spices, coating both sides, then cover and chill. Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the butternut squash and cook for about 10 minutes or until tender. Drain then refresh under cold running water. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat a lidded non stick saucepan, spray with the cooking spray then cook the onion for 8 minutes, covered, stirring regularly. Add the garlic, pepper, thyme and cumin seeds. Spray with the cooking spray and fry for another 3 minutes, stirring.
3. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 1/4/110 degrees celsisus. Add the black beans, squash and 2 tablespoons of water to the saucepan with the onions and peppers. Stir and heat through for 5 minutes.
4. While the black beans mixture is cooking, heat a griddle or non stick frying pan, spray the chicken with the cooking spray and cook four of the chicken fillets for 6 minutes, turning once, or until cooked through. When the black beans and squash have finished cooking , season and stir in the coriander and jalapenos.
5. Cover the first batch of cooked chicken and keep warm while you cook the second batch. Meanwhile, wrap the tortillas in foil and warm in the oven. Place a tortilla on each serving plate, top with the black bean mixture then the chicken. Place a spoonful of yoghurt on top before serving.