I got this recipe out of ‘Mama’s Italian Cookbook’. It’s similiar to a risotto. Lovely and comforting food. Give it a go, you won’t be disappointed.
1 litre chicken stock
6 tbsp butter
3 shallots, finely chopped
115g/4 oz pancetta or rindless lean bacon, diced
150ml dry white wine
175g petis pois, thawed if frozen
Salt and pepper
Parmesan cheese shavings to garnish
1. Pour the stock into a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
2. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer gently.
3. Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large, heavy-based saucepan.
4. Add the shallots and pancetta and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until the shallots are soft.
5. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes, until all the grains are thoroughly coated and glistening.
6. Pour in the wine and cook, stirring constantly, until it has almost completely evaporated.
7. Add a ladleful of hot stock and cook, stirring constantly, until all the stock has been absorbed.
8. Continue cooking and adding the stock, a ladleful at a time, for about 10 minutes.
9. Add the peas, then continue adding the stock, a ladleful at a time, for a further 10 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
10. Stir in the remaining butter and season to taste with salt and pepper.
11. Transfer to a warmed serving dish, garnish with cheese shavings and serve immediately.