I was getting a bit bored with vegetable soup so it was good to come across this recipe. It’s probably not soup weather now but it’s a good filler and nice for lunch. Go easy on the chilli if you are not partial to spicy food. You need to shred the cabbage, I just chopped it thinly but a food processor would be handy. Enjoy.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 bay leaf
1 small cabbage, shredded
1 tin chopped tomatoes
200g canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tbp chopped parsley or basil
25g low-fat cheese, grated
1. Heat the oil in a pan and gently cook the onion until soft, but not brown.
2. Add the garlic and chilli, and cook for a further minute.
3. Next, add the bay leaf and pour over the stock.
4. Add the cabbage, tomatoes and chickpeas, bring to the boil and simmer for ten minutes, or until the cabbage is tender.
5. Season with salt and pepper, stir in the parsley and serve with the cheese scattered over the top.