This recipe is from the Cornucopia cookbook. This one can be made and the leftovers put in the freezer for a later date.
Note: I couldn’t find puy lentils at the time, so I used a tin of green lentils. I also added some vegetables (peppers) to bulk it up a bit.
340g fat free natural yoghurt
1 tsp of mild curry powder
¼ tsp of ground turmeric
2 egg yolks
1 tsp ground nutmeg
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
75g of grated cheddar cheese
2 tablespoon of olive oil
200g of tinned puy lentils
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
25g of fresh oregano
1 can of tomatoes
1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
1 tsp of ground cumin
2 large (3 medium) aubergines
4 large waxy potatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Fry off the onion for 5 minutes on a medium. Add in the garlic and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the herbs and spices and fry for 1 minute. Add the puy lentils and tin of tomatoes and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat once cooked.
- While the base is simmering, peel and slice the waxy potatoes.
- Par-cooked in salted water for 15 minutes. Remove from water and set aside.
- Slice the aubergines and spray with low cal spray. Cook on a griddle pan until slightly charred on each side.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Mix together the yoghurt, curry powder, turmeric, egg yolks and nutmeg in a bowl and season to taste.
- Spread some of the base sauce on the bottom of an ovenproof dish. Layer some aubergine on top and then some of the potato. Repeat process.
- Cover the top with the creamy sauce mixture and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Place in the oven and cook for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.