This is my own version of Macroni Cheese. It’s a good one for midweek as it doesn’t really take that long to cook. It’s a good family favourite.
Serves 4 (or 3 hungry people)
300g of macaroni pasta
1 onion, finely chopped
40g of butter
2 tablespoons of olive oil
3 heaped dessertspoons
100ml of milk
25g parmesan cheese, grated
½ ball of mozzarella, roughly chopped
5 medallions of bacon, chopped roughly
½ teaspoon of mixed spice or nutmeg
Salt and pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. I find that macaroni pasta takes longer to cook, so it may take longer than on the packet. Add salt and a splash of oil and stir to avoid the pasta sticking.
- Meanwhile, fry off the onions and bacon in a frying pan until golden brown. Set aside.
- In a saucepan melt the butter and oil, add in the flour, little by little creating a buttery consistency. It is best to use a whisk and stir vigorously lifting off the heat regular to avoid burning. Add in the milk, little by little until it is a nice creamy consistency. This is known as a roux. Add in the spice, grated parmesan, salt and pepper to the sauce and stir. Take off heat.
- Add the cooked pasta to the onions and bacon and pour in the sauce. Stir ingredients together and
- Pour all the ingredients into an ovenproof dish and sprinkle the mozzarella over the mixture.
- Place until a grill until the cheese has melted and golden. Serve immediately.