I got this recipe from www.bbcgoodfood.com. The recipe instructions were really bad so I have edited their version. I tried the recipe with the avocado and I really don’t think it needs it. I didn’t have basil so I just used spicy italian herbs instead (from Schwarz). I also doubled up on the batter and kept the remainder in the fridge for the following day. These are not really the healthiest option but you have to indulge sometimes.
- 100 ml olive oil for deep frying
- 1 red pepper , diced
- 1 fresh red or green chilli , deseeded and chopped
- 100g self-raising flour
- 2 egg , beaten
- 6 tbsp milk
- 2 x 330g sweetcorn nibblets, drained
- handful basil leaf , chopped, plus extra to serve (or use 2 tsp spicy Italian herbs)
- Heat grill to high. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large non-stick frying pan and sizzle the pepper for 5 mins until softened, adding the chilli for the final min. Remove and set aside.
- Put the flour into a large bowl, make a well, then stir in the egg and then the milk to make a batter, whisking to remove any lumps. Stir in the corn, peppers, chilli and chopped basil, then season well.
- Heat a wok and add the remaining oil and heat until very hot. Then carefully drop 4 large tbsps of the batter into the pan. Don’t panic they look like they will seperate but they bind together. Try not to agitate them while they are cooking.
- Cook for 2 mins until risen and golden underneath, then cook for 1 min more. You’ll need to do these in batches, remove and drain on the kitchen paper to remove the excess fat. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, grill the bacon.
- Mix the lemon juice and remaining oil together with seasoning. Serve 4 cakes each, topped with the avocado, bacon, a scattering of basil leaves and a drizzle of the dressing.