Tip: I added in chicken which I fried with the bacon until golden brown. I would also recommend adding in a stock cube with the pasta water, to give it an extra bit of flavour.
6 Points per serving
150g small, short dried pasta such as
macaroni or chifferi rigati
400g mixed zero points veg, such as
broccoli, cauliflower, and carrot cut into bite sizes.
Low fat cooking spray
1 small onion, chopped
2 medium rashers lean back bacon, chopped
2 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp low fat polyunsaturated margarine
300 ml skimmed milk
100g half fat mature cheddar cheese grated
1 slice of low calorie bread, whizzed into crumbs
- Pre-heat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and add the pasta. Cook for just 1 minute, then add the mixed vegetables and cook for 2-3 minutes more until the veg is just starting to get tender.
- Drain and tip into a 1.5 litre ovenproof dish.
- Meanwhile, heat a frying pan, mist with low fat spray and add the onion. Sauté for 4 minutes until starting to soften and colour, then add the bacon and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Tip into the dish with the pasta and mix everything together.
- Place the flour, margarine and milk in a small saucepan and bring to the boil on a medium-high heat, whisking constantly.
- Simmer for a few minutes more, stirring, until the sauce has thickened and the raw flour taste has disappeared, then stir in half the cheese.
- Season to taste, and then pour the sauce over the pasta.
- Top the pasta with the remaining cheese and the breadcrumbs, then place in the oven for 20-25 minutes until hot through and golden brown on top. Serve.