225g/8oz plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
110g/4 0z caster sugar
1 egg, beaten
75ml/3fl oz sunflower oil
A few drops of vanilla essence
65g/2 ½ oz pecan nuts, chopped
4 medium-sized ripe bananas, mashed
Makes 1 loaf
- Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon into a bowl and stir in the sugar.
- Mix in the egg, sunflower oil and vanilla essence but do not beat.
- Fold in the pecans and mashed bananas, using a fork. Again do not beat.
- Spoon into a lined 900g/2lb loaf tin and bake in an oven preheated to 180 C/350F/gas mark 4 for 50-60 minutes, until the loaf is golden brown and springs back when prodded gently with your finger.
- Leave in the tin for 10 minutes, and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.