This is a derivation of a Cornucopia recipe. I tried the recipe after seeing it in their book. Normally, I change stuff a little based on my gut feeling but didn’t this time to see if my gut was right. I’m afraid it was in this case. I altered it by adding some leek and some stock and reducing the quantity of basil. I think this is going to be one of my staple soups. Hope you enjoy.
1 leek, chopped
3 sticks of celery, chopped
6 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 onion, chopped
100g red lentils
25g basil leaves, chopped
Salt and pepper
1 litre of stock
I litre of water
2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Heat a large saucepan and heat the olive oil.
- Add in the vegetables and sauté for a couple of minutes. Reduce heat and cover and leave to sweat for 5 minutes.
- Add in the lentils, stock, water, seasoning and bring to the boil. Once boiled reduce heat and simmer until the lentils are yellow.
- Add in the basil leaves and stir.
- Blend with a handheld blender. Taste and correct seasoning if required.