You will see a running theme with my recipes, low fat or low calorie. I try to keep them as healthy as possible and get a lot of my recipes from Weight Watchers and other health magazines. This is another Weight Watchers recipe. I haven’t made it in quite some time but it’s lovely.
6 ½ Weight Watchers points per serving
Low fat cooking spray
1 onion, diced
300g extra lean steak mince
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 red pepper, de-seeded and diced
410g chopped tomatoes with herbs
1 beef stock cube, crumbled
150 ml of boiling water
150g chopped frozen spinach
16 cannelloni tubes
15g low fat margarine
25g of plain flour
1 tsp of mustard powder
600 ml of skimmed milk
50g of low fat mature cheddar, grated
8 cheery tomatoes, halved
- To make the Bolognese sauce, heat a large pan, mist with low fat spray and add the onion. Cook for 3 minutes, and then add the book and cook, stirring well to break up the mince, until all the meat is brown.
- Stir in the garlic, pepper, tomatoes, tomato puree.
- Dissolve the stock cube in boiling water and add into pan. Bring the sauce to the boil, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the spinach until defrosted, ten remove from the heat and season to taste.
- Preheat the oven (gas mark 5/190 degrees Celsius). Fill the cannelloni tubes with the Bolognese sauce and put in greased oven proof dish in a single layer. Pour any leftover sauce over the top and set aside while you make the white sauce.
- Melt the margarine in a small pan. Add the flour and mustard powder and stir to combine. Cook the paste for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir the milk in a little at a time, making sure it is smooth before adding more.
- Return the sauce to the hob and cook over a low heat, stirring continuously until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in half the cheese. Pour over the cannelloni tubes, scatter with the remaining cheese and cherry tomatoes and bake for 30-40 minutes until the top is bubbling and golden, and the pasta is cooked through.
- Serve with a green salad.